We here at Voices From the 3rd Floor are excited to announce our second contest of the year themed after the spring season!
Why just spring? Because with so many holidays and things to look forward to on the horizon, it was too difficult to pick just one. So we’re leaving that up to you.
- General spring themes/imagery
- St. Patrick’s Day/Luck
- Blossoming life/relationships
- Spring Break
- Any other holiday not included.
(You might notice that April Fool’s Day isn’t included in this list. This is because we here at VF3F thought it might be fun to host a separate event focusing on humorous stories for the month of April. That being said, writers are encouraged to seek inspiration from any upcoming spring holiday, April Fool’s Day included, for this contest. The sky’s the limit.)
These themes are pretty open-ended, and that’s because we want you to feel free to be creative about what you choose to write about. However, we do have some rules in place to keep things organized, fair, and original.
- Submissions must address the present month’s theme (obviously)
- Content must be PG-13 (Profanity at a minimum, romantic/love scenes and acts of violence cannot be extremely graphic)
- Please keep in mind possible triggering subjects and or content and try to avoid these or handle them appropriately.
- Acceptable submissions: Poems (2 maximum), Short Stories (Fiction/Non-Fiction with a maximum of 3-4 pages), and Academic (Maximum of 4 pages)
- Content must be writer’s original work. Plagiarism is unacceptable
How to Submit:
All submissions will be accepted via email. To find out more details please visit the submissions page located here. Or, alternatively, click the little ellipses (…) drop down menu and select “Submissions.” (And follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram while you’re there!)
Submissions Deadline: March 31st, 2016
Winner will receive the following:
- Your story will be published on Voices from the 3rd Floor as our first feature story following the contest deadline.
- Your story will also be published by the University Press for readers all over FAU to enjoy.
- You will receive a Starbucks gift card.
Spring is a time of change and vitality, so let this inspire your work and inspire your words to flourish.